Fresh Spring Rolls
A perfectly balancing meal that is so refreshing. Connect with your taste buds and creativity while you practice patience and wrap each one different. For vegan option leave out the shrimp.
- 7 large sheets of 22cm/8.5" round rice paper
- 11 small shrimp cooked & peeled
- 50 g 1.5 oz vermicelli noodles dried
- 7 lettuce soft leaves
- 14 mint leaves
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 carrot (optional) julienned
- 1 cucumber (optional) slivered
- 1 mango (optional) slivered
- 1 red pepper (optional) slivered
- 1 tbsp peanut butter or other nut butter
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1.5 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp chilli paste or crush chilli
- 1/3 cup water
Share on Facebook Pin Recipe Share by Email
- Combine the Peanut Dipping Sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan. Mix briefly on low heat until smooth.
- Adjust adding water to preferred thickness.
- Set aside to let it cool.
- Place vermicelli noodles in a bowl and cover with warm water for 2 minutes, then drain.
- Peel the prawns, slice in half lengthwise and devein
- Remove the crunchy core of the lettuce leaves
- CREATE LETTUCE BUNDLE: Place some vermicelli noodles, bean sprouts and preferred plant based item in a lettuce leaf. (You can choose different combinations of mango, cucumber, carrot and red pepper). Then roll it up, finishing seam side down. Repeat.
- Place 2 damp tea towels in your working space.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water.
- Place two rice papers together. (Note which side is the smooth side – this is supposed to be the outside of the spring roll). Submerge the rice papers into the water for 2 seconds. place the rice paper between the damp tea towels to remove excess water.
- On the top part of the rice paper, place 2 prawns with a mint leaf in between, as per the photo below.
- Place the lettuce bundle with the seam side down onto the middle of the rice paper.
- Fold the left and right edges of the rice paper in, then starting from the bottom, roll up to cover the lettuce bundle. Then keep rolling firmly. The rice paper is sticky, it will seal itself.
- Serve immediately with the peanut dipping sauce.
Calories: 227kcalCarbohydrates: 44gProtein: 11gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 345mgPotassium: 1016mgFiber: 9gSugar: 18gVitamin A: 5180IUVitamin C: 53mgCalcium: 145mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!