Chick Pea Falafels
A healthy twist on a familiar favourite that is baked instead or air fried.
- Air Fryer
- 2 cups dried chick peas pre-soaked overnight
- 1 tbsp flour *option for GF
- 1 1/2 cup parsley roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 small green jalapeno pepper
- 1 small onion quartered
- 5 cloves garlic option to
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp black pepper ground
- 1 tbsp cumin ground
- 1 tbsp coriander ground
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds unsalted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Start a day in advance. Soak dried chickpeas in a large bowl filled with water covering chickpeas by at least 2 inches. (Soak for 24 hours. When ready, drain the chickpeas and pat dry.
- In a food processor add the chickpeas, herbs, onions, garlic, flour, pumpkin seeds and spices. Run the food processor 40 seconds at a time until all is well combined forming a paste like texture. (Do not pulse).
- Place the mixture in an airtight container and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- After chilled remove the cover and spoon in the baking powder and sesame seeds.
- Scoop 2 tablespoonfuls of the falafel mixture and form into 1/2 inch thick patties. (wet hands are helpful here)
- Set air fryer at 370-380 F and arrange falafel balls not touching in the basket. Cook for 15 mins. You will need to do in batches.
- If you do not have an air fryer you can bake at 375F for 30 mins.
Share on Facebook Pin Recipe Share by Email
Uncooked falafel mixture freezes well! It will need to the fully thawed in the refrigerator completely before cooking.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!